Staff @ July 17, 2014
Staff @ July 16, 2014
Staff @ July 15, 2014
It is with great honor that I am able to give this away. A tribute to one of my heroes, Frankie Knuckles.
The relationship between Detroit and Chicago, for me, has always been about connection. Any kind of rivalry is secluded and irrelevant, in my opinion.
Chicago is approximately a 6 hour drive from Detroit, so, growing up we would frequent parties, back and forth. On any weekend in Detroit, we could meet people from Chicago who wanted to experience our small scene in Detroit.
Whereas Detroit had a much more distant, cold feeling while still trying to retain human elements, Chicago house music always appealed to me because it seemed like the softer, soulful version of Techno. I was drawn to the organ chords and the jacking indigenous rhythms of 808s. Growing up with Detroit radio, we were exposed to funk music and a lot of R&B. Some of the first records I bought were Change “Change of Heart” and Frankie Knuckles presents Jamie Principle “Your Love”, both artworks and music having very geometric, mechanical feeling, yet airbrushed and fun vibes.
Frankie Knuckles was the most pivotal figure in this movement, for me. The first time I had heard “Baby Wants To Ride”, it really moved me. The way the dot matrix synths moved in seemingly Euclidian patterns, the bounce and slight swing of that bass line, and the way the dissonant chords tied it all together. One listen and you can see where I drew all my inspiration from when making my tune from 2006, “Hot, Raw, Sex”. Let’s just say that record would have been a lot different without Frankie K.
“Tears”, “Rain Falls”, and “Your Love” among some of the best tracks I found on vinyl in Chicago. A few of them so popular you could find them at Salvation Army.
What else can I say about Frankie that hasn’t been said this week? With this track, we celebrate his life, his kindness, his love for music, his inspiration, his passion and all that he gave during his life.
Thank you Frankie,
Frankie Knuckles presents Jamie Principle “Baby Wants to Ride” (Jimmy Edgar Edit)
Artwork by Pilar Zeta
Mastered by Naweed at Whitfield Mastering, London. (www.whitfieldmastering.com)
Staff @ July 14, 2014
Staff @ July 12, 2014
Staff @ July 9, 2014
- Moist Ghost – Headquarters (Astro Nautico)
- Howse – Work (unreleased)
- Praveen – Gee Whiz (forthcoming Astro Nautico)
- Time Wharp – Latte (unreleased)
- YUNG AOL – Fuckboy Island (forthcoming Astro Nautico)
- Seafloor – BustnLoo (forthcoming Astro Nautico)
- Dap Hound – Hausu (forthcoming Astro Nautico)
- RAJA – Ghost Child (Astro Nautico)
- Dreams – Gridbugs (forthcoming Private Selection Records)
- Dunes – U Know How (Astro Nautico)
- Obey City – Take It Back (All City Records)
- Chits – Footscape (forthcoming Astro Nautico)
- Kloud – Mood Swings (Astro Nautico)
- Dane Chadwick – Shake It Off (unreleased)
- Seafloor – Just Be (unreleased)
- Space Ghost – For Now (self-released)
- Chits – Mild Groove (unreleased)
- The Range – SSD (Donky Pitch)
- Photay – Static at the Summit (forthcoming Astro Nautico)
- Michael Jukeson – September (Just Be Happy) (unreleased)
- Felix Castenzio – hedgedin (unreleased)
- Comanche – Seshona (unreleased)
- Jackson 5 – I Want You Back (Photay remix) (unreleased)
Staff @ July 8, 2014